Equality & Legality – International Conference on Sexual & Gender Diversity in the Francophonie
Registration is Open!
Fierté Montréal Pride is organizing the Equality & Legality International Conference on Sexual & Gender Diversity in the Francophonie. The conference will take place August 18, 2017, during Canada Pride Montréal 2017. Canada Pride is a major 11-day celebration organised by Fierté Montréal Pride to celebrate diversity. It is the largest pride celebration in the Francophone world.
Over 80 countries on all continents identify with the Francophonie. LGBTQ rights vary considerably from one country to another. Even today, in several of them, to display a different sexual orientation is cause for the death penalty. In others, prison sentences and charges of indecency are the norm. This conference will allow delegates to assess the state of rights and the discuss the quest for equality of LGBTQ people in these countries. It also seeks to raise the importance of these issues for the future.
The Equality & Legality conference take place in French and will tackle a wide range of topics centered around six major themes:
- Activism and Recognition: the fight for equality and justice carried out in the Francophonie on the issues of sexual diversity and gender plurality: experiences, movements, local and national alliances, perceptions, public image and prejudices
- Universality and Solidarity: reaching beyond borders to foster the advancement of LGBTQ rights; building strategic alliances (NGOs, trade unions, businesses, governments, civil institutions, UN, IOF, etc.)
- The Francophonie – Living as Majorities & Minorities: a vehicle for mobilizing and advancing rights within LGBTQ communities
- Migration and Refugees: seeking safety and a life of self-fulfillment
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Plurality Within the context of Religions, Colonialism, North-South Relations and Regional Dynamics: a burdened past, a future to be (re)defined
- Health, Sexual Autonomy and the Evolution of Rights: health issues and their impact on the evolution of rights
The Equality and Legality conference is made possible thanks to the financial support of its presenting sponsor, the Government of Québec. It is taking place at the same time as Montréal is celebrating its 375th anniversary and Canada its 150th. The Francophonie Conference will be preceded by a three-day Canadian conference LGBTTIQA2S Lives: Our Struggles, Our Victories, Our Challenges.
For more information, view our press releases: